Comté is an absolute classic, with its delicious sweet and floral flavours, it's easily one of our most popular cheeses. We generally choose Comté which has been aged for a minimum of 14 months so that those delicious flavours have had a real chance to develop in full. We'll often have 18 months, 24 months and occasionaly 36 month matured Comté.
Such is it's popularity, around 64,000 tonnes are produced annually, all in the Franche-Comté region of France. It has enjoyed AOC recognition since 1958, one of the first cheeses to achieve this and the list of regulations is quite substantial:
- Only milk from Montbéliarde or French Simmental cows can be used.
- There must be at most 1.3 cows per hectare of pasture.
- The cows can only be fed fresh, natural feed.
- The milk must go to the cheesemakers immediately after milking.
- Rennet must be added within a set time after milking.
- The milk must be unpasteurised.
- Salt can only be added to the surface of the cheese.
- Maturing must continue for at least 4 months.
- No grated cheese may be sold as Comté.
Great on it's own but also fantastic to cook with, Comté is great in fondue, salads and with chilli jam in a toastie, which is a regular on our shop's toastie menu.